Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Self-Care and Real Life

As I sit here at my wobbly kitchen table, watching the snow coming down outside and waiting for my youngest son to get home from preschool, I marvel at how peaceful everything is at this moment.  In less than 20 minutes, that peace will go away and be replaced with the noise of an excited 4 year old who wants to show me his latest coloring page and art project from school today.

I have a long list of chores to do that I completely ignored during the kids' winter break and I could be working on promoting my direct sales business on various social media platforms in the hopes that someone pays attention and reaches out with a question about a product they want to know more about or help placing an order.  I am doing none of those things.  Instead I am typing up this blog post, listening to KOOL108, the best of the 80s and 90s (yup music I grew up with is now considered oldies), and when I am done with this post, I am going to read.

For my mental health and my ability to keep up with my 4 year old for the rest of the day, I am completely ignore my list of to-dos and allowing myself some much needed self-care.  I don't feel a bit guilty about it either.  I have learned the hard way that each day I have to allow myself time to do whatever I want and alone or I am miserable to be around for the rest of the day.  I am thankful that my 4 year old has school in the mornings this school year because I can have my alone time in the morning and be ready for the rest of the day to be around people and on the go.  Next school year he will have afternoon preschool, so I foresee many naps happening in the afternoons while he is at school starting in September, so I can recharge and be ready for the boys when they get home from school.

I am thankful that I can take the time to have self-care.  So many in the world do not have this advantage and so I make sure to take it so I can go out and be with my neighbor with my full gifts and self.  And so I will end this post with a call to action for all of you: make time to breathe each day and do something you enjoy for a little bit.  You are important too!

Until next time,

Megan

No comments: