Saturday, July 30, 2011

Just some random thoughts...

Though the books will be around forever, the movie franchise of Harry Potter is now over.  It feels like the end of an era to me.  Much like when your favorite show is given the chance to have a final episode, for me that was LOST.  I liked the final movie.  It was well done and kept in all the essentials.  It was a little slow at first because the viewer had to remember where they left off in the first part of Harry Potter 7, but once that first part was done, the rest of the movie was great. :)

I cried at the end, not because it was sad, but because it was over.  Finito, Done.  No more movies to be made and have masses of people around the world sitting in a movie theater at midnight when they should probably be sleeping because they have to be to work by 8 or 9 am the next morning.

And now I have a confession to make.  I only owned book 6 and 7 of Harry Potter for a very long time.  After Jason and I were finally able to go see the final movie this last Sunday because I was finally feeling like I could leave the house for a little while, I went across the street from the theater to Barnes & Noble and bought the rest of the books.  So now I can read them whenever I want.  YAY me!  And even though I hated the 5th and 6th movies, I feel compelled to go and buy them.  I'm not sure why, I suppose it is the complete the series mentality, but also for nostalgia and so our future children can watch them when they are old enough and get into Harry Potter.  Kind of like the Lord of the Rings books and movies and yes, for me also Twilight (yes it is a guilty pleasure so just smile, nod and let it go. ;)) 

Anyway, I started reading another of Alison Weir's novels.  This one is about Eleanor of Aquitaine and frankly I am only 13 pages into it and want to stop reading it and start reading the Harry Potter series again instead.  That is how unimpressed I am with the book I am reading.  This is not a slam again Harry Potter, it's just that once I commit to reading a book, I feel obligated to finish it, even if it sucks.  It is disappointing because I read Alison Weir's non-fiction biography of Eleanor of Aquitaine and it was fantastic.  I wish the woman would just stick to what she is good at and write non-fiction.  I did read another one of her novels called "The Lady Elizabeth" which was pretty good, but then I read her non-fiction "The Children of Henry VIII" which she must have based the novel on because a lot of the same stuff was in both. 

Jason is working on his sermon for tomorrow morning right now and I am slowly getting caught up on my TIME magazine reading, but really waiting for him to take a break so we can watch another episode of Season 1 of LOST.  Yeah, we are starting to rewatch the series which is AWESOME by the way and I just can't get enough. :)  Hopefully soon he will take a break and I can get my fix. :)

No comments: