Tuesday, August 13, 2013

On Becoming More Domestic and Other Stuff....

Okay, hopefully this works because at the bottom of my screen I'm getting an Error on page message and have to write this in html format. Lame! Anyway, back to my original thoughts.

Lately, I've been feeling like I am becoming more domestic. Like I am making the transition from being not only a stay at home mom, but also a housewife, and this sucks. I've noticed that when there are food crumbs all over the floor, I am the one always pulling out the broom from the pantry closet and sweeping. I'm the one who swiffers the floors in the house when the dust-bunnies threaten to take over once and for all and I'm the one who dusts too. How the hell did this happen?

Maybe it is my OCD and my keen skills of observation that kick in when the house looks like a tornado went through it and I just can't take the mess anymore. Part of me wonders if my husband would happily live in a disgusting house sometimes. I know that's not the case, but it can be frustrating sometimes cleaning up after three people (myself included.) On the flip side, my sweet husband is the cook and occassionally he will try his hand at baking because we have too much of something like rubbarb that we need to use up. He is a fantastic cook, well I should really say chef, too. Preston and I are daily spoiled with his healthy culinary delights. I am very thankful for this because I do not like to cook or bake at all.

Ugh...so I guess I really shouldn't complain about being the one who does the majority of the cleaning, since I am not forced to cook or really do anything in the kitchen except clean and eat. It really is a pretty good trade-off. I just get frustrated sometimes when there are huge food chunks on the floor and either Preston picks them up and eats them, or my darling husband walks right over them instead of picking them up and throwing them away.

Alright, alright....enough complaining. I know how lucky I am to have such an wonderful husband and son, so I'm going to quit my bitching and write about something else.

I've been thinking a lot lately about speciality crafts that are making a comeback after a brief period of disapperance. My mom and I talked about this a bit when the family was out visiting recently. We both agreed that certain crafts are no longer going to be practiced soon. She gave the example of silversmithing and I gave the example of hand-written letters (of which, I have decided to bring back one hand-written letter at a time, so check your mail people.)

Recently, I decided to re-teach myself how to crochet (one of the many dying crafts apparently.) My lofty first project was to make a blanket. It didn't go so well, and has now turned into an over-the-shoulder scarf type thing that I can wear in the fall and winter. My second project, which I am working on now, will also probably turn into a scarf of some sort. I'm going to attempt the blanket again soon, once I remember to count,work on not loosing stitches (or whatever they are called) and keep things loose not progressively tighten it as I go along. It's hard stuff for a beginner to remember, but I'll get it eventually.

I've been feeling more crafty lately too. I have all kinds of plans for Preston's baby book that I haven't touched in several months. I also want to start making some Shutterfly photo books of trips and other photos from the past several years. It's going to take a lot of time and motivation and of course, money to do this, so it will have to wait away before I can really get going on this project.

Jason and I have also been talking about starting a potted garden next spring. He's already collecting the seeds from the product he wants to grow. I have a feeling I'm going to end up more as a onlooker in this endeavor than a participant, but we'll just have to wait and see next spring. And I really want to get Preston a goat. We can't have goats in town, but it would be awesome to find someplace we could keep the goat and Preston helps to raise it. Yes, a goat, and the reason is, because I think he'd like a goat compared to chickens (which we also can't have in town. So no fresh eggs for us. Lame.)

So there you have it, I am becoming more domesticated and other stuff....

No comments: