Friday, April 3, 2015

I've Caught the Spring Cleaning Bug!!! It's Rummage/Garage/Yard Sale Time!

I've caught the spring cleaning bug.  Not long ago I was looking around our living room and a thought came to me, "I hardly use any of this stuff, why do I still have it in my house?"

So I have decided, after conferring with my husband, that we are going to have a rummage/garage/yard sale this summer.

Most of what I want to sell are books and some movies, but there is a lot more that I have to go through of mine too.  I have been dragging books around with me that I will not read again or haven't read yet and won't.  I have dragged old grade school and high school papers around with me that just need to be thrown away.

I have shoes that I won't wear again because they are either too small or have higher heels than I am comfortable wearing now that my feet have grown and I have children.  It's hard to run in heels.

I have clothes that don't fit me anymore or from trips that I have taken that I won't wear again.

Why do I keep these things?

The clothes I keep out of sentimental value.  The books I keep because I just couldn't get myself to get rid of them.  The shoes I keep because maybe someday I'll want to wear them again.

But after looking around my living room that day, I realized, I keep them because I am a bit of a hoarder.  I keep these things because I just haven't taken the time to go through all of my stuff and really, realistically weed out the things I don't use, won't use and don't need anymore.

My husband has agreed to go through all of his things thoroughly as well in the next couple of months and then we will have our sale in July or August this summer.

I've never had my own rummage/garage/yard sale before, so I've been doing some research to find out the best way to do one.  I've come up with a lot of good ideas so far and am excited to clear out our house of unneeded things.

All of the things we don't sell are being donated to various organizations that take donations around our area.  The things we can't sell or donate are being recycled or put in the trash.

It will be nice to have less clutter in our house, make a little money and give to those who are in dire straits.

I'm looking forward going through my things.  I've already found some great stuff that I'm going to keep and some things that we can sell.  :)

No comments: