Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Working girl now

I'm a working girl now. I hate it. More to the point, I don't hate it, I just wish I were doing something else. I actually really like one of the jobs I have right now. It's at a law office in downtown Minneapolis, in the Wells Fargo Center. It's on one of the top floors and there is a great view of the city from the lobby windows. I like to stand in the lobby looking out over the rush going on far below me and wonder about life. Sadly I believe the job ends next week but I don't want to leave. It is tedious and sometimes very boring, but I like being able to walk around downtown after work and muse over the bustling of the city. And I have found some fabulous looking restaurants and bars that I would really like to go to sometime when I find people who would be willing to join me. Sometimes I wish I were able to go to a sit down restaurant by myself without feeling awkward but I'm not to that point yet. I can go to the movies by myself, I do it all the time, but restaurants I just haven't gotten used to yet. There is something about being able to have a conversation over dinner that is just much more appealing than sitting at a table all by oneself with only one's own thoughts to occupy the time.

So needless to say, I love my downtown law office job, my boss is totally quirky and I love it. He talks like the Rain Man, with the slight hint of a New Jersey accent. And I get to learn a little about what the lawyers do which is fun. I don't do too much with them though, I mostly just make copies and update periodicals for the library.

Now my other job, well I won't even start on that. It's fine, I just can't stay there for more than 5 hours without wanting to do serious harm to people. But starting this coming week I have some 8 hour shifts which is totally going to suck ass. It sure as hell is going to be interesting to see how well I make it through those days. On the plus side I get time and a half on Labor Day for working 4 hours. That will be nice.

So, yup, my life consists of working for the most part, with the occasional event to separate out the days. For example, last night my bff Michelle called me and said she wanted to make dinner for me and my other bff Karen if we were willing to drive down to Northfield for it. She had apparently heard from Karen that I had a somewhat crappy weekend and Karen had a crappy weekend and she wanted to make us dinner to help us feel better. Of course Karen and I showed up; I mean seriously, who's going to turn down a free meal. Other than that, I have watched a lot of movies lately and hope to add to my collection as soon as I have straighted out my budget, etc...

Oh and I had no power Monday morning because of the storm and therefore had to wait till I got home from work to take a shower. That was totally not cool. But I have power now so all is good and right with the world again.

What other randomness can I write about? Well, I can't think of anything so I'm off to go watch another movie, just for something new and different to do.

No comments: