Friday, January 29, 2010

My Meltdown Week...

I've had a hell of a week this week.  Actually it all started Saturday when the weather warmed up just enough for the snow and ice to begin melting.  We have an ice damn on our roof, actually a couple, but the one that actually caused damage to both the outside and inside of the house is right above the room we use as an office.  There is water damage to the room below as well.  Nothing has been done to fix these problems but the inspector came to the house today to check it out and is sending out a written notice giving the owner and property manager 30 days to get the work done that needs to be done or she will be fined.  So not a vast improvement in the situation at the house, but it's something, leading in the right direction hopefully.  On the plus side, I am more pleasant to be around because I'm hopped up on allergy medication 24/7 which makes me loopy.  That reminds me, I have to take some more before I go to bed tonight.  I just have to keep telling myself, 4 more months, 4 more months, 4 more months, over and over and over again.  Otherwise, I'll never make it through the next 4 months. 

All about my education:
Aside from the house issues, progress is being made with my educational quagmire.  I have a new advisor and though it means that I will have to revise my original topic of concentration for my thesis, I will still get to write about the history of the Palestinian region, including work I have done already on the Medieval Crusading period.  Being that my thesis is going to cover a vast period of time, I'm hoping to focus on one country's influence in Palestine, England.  So basically from 1095 - to the formation of the state of Israel in 1947 (1948).  It will be a general overview of relations between the two regions, religiously, politically, socially, economically.  I'm sure I'll have to narrow it down a lot because I only have 100 pages to work with, but this is the basic gist of what I will hopefully be working on starting this spring until I complete my thesis.

I gave up on trying to take the German language exam because it just wasn't working out for me.  Instead I am going to take the language exam in French, which is going so much better.  I will definitely need a dictionary on hand because I'm a little rusty with the vocabulary, but I remember all of the grammar and quite a bit more vocabulary than I thought I did.

In wedding news:
We have found a reception site.  It will be at the Radisson on University in Minneapolis.  I am quite excited about this.  Jason and I are going to check it out next weekend when he is here.  We also have our second pre-marital counseling session that weekend as well.  We are going to find out the results of our prepare and enrich tests we had to take.  This ought to be interesting.

On the job front:
I got paid today with my check reflecting my new hours and pay (I got a raise) and I am happy to report that I can actually, for the first time in my life, live somewhat comfortably for now.  This is good news for my goal of paying off all my bad debt this year, which is very exciting for me.  Maybe in the not so distant future I can be bad debt free!  That would be pretty awesome.

I'm thinking I need to write down my goals someplace other than my blog.  I can't remember all of them when I am trying to write my progress.  Next time I blog I will do that, so then I can update you on how I am doing with my other goals I have made for myself this year.  For now, I leave you with this...

Do yourself a favor and read the book "World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie Wars."  Trust me, you will not regret it.

P.S.  Due to the fact that I am having a hell of a time getting myself motivated to write anything on my Simple Historian blog, I am going to leave it alone for a while.  Someday I may start posting on it again, but for now, I'm going to leave it alone.

1 comment:

Kathleen Schmidt said...

Baby steps, remember, baby steps are solid steps.