Saturday, November 27, 2010

Does Time = Creativity?

Over the past few weeks I have been having a really hard time concentrating and writing my thesis.  I was not organized and I couldn't get my thoughts in order to write anything of significance.  I few weeks ago I was able to write quite a few pages in one sitting which got me energized.  After that, though, I have not had a lot of time and when I do, I have a hard time writing more than a few pages at a time.  This is not good.

This week is Thankgiving week.  All the students at the seminary had the whole week off; I have Wednesday to Sunday off.  Wednesday I went to the library and did not get much done.  It was extremely frustrating because the roads were somewhat crappy in the evening and we ended up fighting traffic for 1.5 hours.  It could definitely have been worse though. 

Yesterday evening and all day today I have been on a roll, which got me thinking about time and creativity and ideas.  When I am constantly going and get one day to really focus on writing I have a hard time focusing and instead find that can't concentrate and am not creative with my ideas.  With little work done on Wednesday, no time writing on Thursday and a little bit of writing on Friday, I find that I am refreshed and creative today.  In fact, I am going to finish chapter two of my thesis today, and it is not going to be the worst rough draft ever written. 

Over the last few days off, I have been able to relax and do a lot of things that typically cause distractions for me on a normal week.  Relaxation time, turned into reading for fun time (yes, I started read for a second time Bram Stoker's Dracula), and watching movies/the newest netflix we got in the mail.  I have spent some quality time with my family because we stayed over night on Wednesday and stayed until around 9pm Thursday night.  I spent time with my friend Karen, and we went to see HP7 on Friday afternoon.  I have spent quality time with my husband and will probably see if I can head down to my friend Michelle's tonight, depending on when I finish writing chapter 2.  See I only have three or so pages left and I will be finished with chapter 2 of my thesis at least until I get my advisors revision comments back (whenever that may be.  I still haven't received anything for chapter 1.)

Anyway, just some food for thought.  For now, I am going to get back to writing so then I can hopefully head to Michelle's for a bit tonight. :-)

No comments: