Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Transition is Not Easy...

Transition is never easy.  Anyone who tells you otherwise is foolish and lying through their teeth.

Transition with kids is even harder.

Almost two months ago my family packed up our stuff and moved from Fairfield, MT in north central Montana to Montgomery, Minnesota in southeast Minnesota.  We took four days to travel and during that time both of our kids got very sick.  A mix of stress and allergies to dust and pollen.

The one who took the move the hardest was our oldest son.  He is 4 years old and it was a very traumatic experience for him.  When he gets extremely upset he still says he wants to go home and I know he means our house in Fairfield.

He is getting better with the move though and is getting into a good routine here, especially now that he has started speech therapy again at the local elementary school.

Our youngest is handling the move well.  He will be 11 months old on October 30th. 
My husband and I are still working on getting settled.  So much has happened in the last two months that we haven't truly been able to get our bearings.  Well at least I haven't yet.  I can't speak for my husband.  The craziness of the last two months is a post for another time.

The emotional, mental, and physical stress of moving across country and then jumping right into a new work and life schedule with no real time to get our bearings was probably not the smartest thing my husband and I have ever done, but we are getting better at going with the flow in our new setting.

Our new church and overall community has been very supportive and welcoming to all of us.  I do miss many things about our former home, mostly the people. 

That is what makes transition so hard.  You miss some things about where you were but there are great things to come in your new situation.

And the nice thing about living in our time is that we can keep in touch with the people we had to leave easier and cheaper than ever before.  A text, a Facebook message, a Snapchat or even an email.  For those who still enjoy old fashion pursuits, a handwritten letter or post card every once in a while us the way to go.

Transition is never easy, but it leads us on new adventures in life, sometime wonderful, sometime bad, most of the time somewhere in between.

I personally am looking forward to feeling less like I am in transition and more comfortable in my new home, town and church in the days, weeks, months and years to come.

No comments: