Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Week 1 of Healthier Living in 2015

1/21/2015
For the week of 1/14-1/21/2015
Weigh in Weight for 1/21/2015:  152.6 lbs.  lose of less than 1 lb.

I decided a long time ago that I was going to weigh myself once a week, instead of several times a week.  So every Wednesday morning I stand of the scale and weigh myself.  On 1/14, I weighed in at 153.4 lbs.  Not a great week for me.  At the end of December, 2014 I was weighing in at 150.2 lbs.  The average healthy weight for a person my height on the higher end is 135 lbs.  So clearly I have a long way to go.  Personally, I made the decision that I'd like to get to 145 lbs before I get pregnant again.  But I might get pregnant before I get to that weight, I might not.  And that is a blog post for another time.

My goals for the week of 1/14-1/21 were to drink more water, eat more low-sodium foods and get exercise in whenever I could.  The exercising portion did not go very well.  I was home most of the weekend by myself with my 2 year old son and he wasn't feeling the greatest, so I settled for being as active as I could and not sit around very much.  The diet portion of my goals went much better.  I stuck to eating meals with low-sodium content and I drank as much as 64 oz of water a day.  I moved to drinking 0% milk because it has less than 5mg of cholesterol and I would have that in my cereal in the mornings.  I am working on finding creative ways to get some moderate exercise in my daily routine, especially when I am on my own with my son.  I can't exactly speed walk on the treadmill when I'm home with my son.  He's not old enough for me to do that yet.

One thing that I have learned to do very well over the last 2+ years is to read food labels.  The key to reading food labels is figuring out the serving size because then the percentages on the rest of the label make much more sense.  It helps you to determine how much of something you can eat as far as cholesterol count, carb count and fat.  It also tells you the amount of sodium and protein too, which is very important.  We cook a lot of our own food and don't eat very much packaged food, but learning how to read labels allows you to approximate when you cook unpackaged foods too.  Which in turn always you a better sense of what you are putting into your body, which in turn keeps you eating healthier.  It is a complete lifestyle way of living.  It kind of makes me want to become a hippy farmer (a term I picked up for my good friend Heather.)

Ultimately, the purpose of me chronicling my healthier living journey this year is to work on changing my lifestyle to live a healthier life for myself, my family and my friends.  Like everyone, I have grand goals of weighing less and being more active with a daily exercise regimen, but sometimes life gets in the way.  I might take on more commitments than I have time for so exercise might be hard to get in daily.  I might be on my own with my son for a few days and need to focus on making sure he's well taken care of.  The winter gets in the way of doing a lot of fun activities outdoors.  (I am not a winter sports person at all.)  Things come up in life, but this year long journey is a chronicle of how I deal with the ups and downs and in the end learning what it means to live a healthier life in every way.

Goals for the week of 1/21-1/28/2015
1)  Fill half my plant at every meal with fruits and/or vegetables
2)  Get 7-8 hrs of sleep each night
3)  Continue working on eating no/low-cholesterol foods and no/low-sodium foods



No comments: