Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Awesome Presents!

This past Sunday I went to the fortress of solitude (aka my parent's house) and spent some time with my mother parental unit and brother unit.  It was nice to just hang out and enjoy each other's company.  Mom had asked me last week what I wanted for my birthday, so I sent her a list of movies, of which I figured she'd choose two. 

After about an hour of solitude time, I went to the kitchen to look for something to munch on and noticed something I never paid much attention to before.  My parent's a few years ago bought a Philip's radio with an ipod dock.  I messed around with it for a bit to check out the sound quality and decided I wanted one for myself.  Luckily, mom hadn't bought my present of two movies yet and bought a Philip's radio with an ipod dock for me instead.

We don't really surprise each other with gifts anymore.  We all typically know what we are going to be getting, which for some people is appalling, but for us, we thinking of it as, "we are actually getting something we want and will use."  I actually prefer this mode of gift giving, but sometimes it is nice to be pleasantly surprised. 

I was slightly, somewhat pleasantly surprised by Jason's present, which was the first three seasons of The Tudors on DVD!  I'm so freaking excited that I own that now!  I haven't had much of a chance to watch it again, but now I can watch it whenever I want in the future! :)  I was also slightly but pleasantly surprised by my workmates (who are awesome by the way!) as they threw a small Happy Birthday gathering with amazingly yummy treats for me yesterday.  Lexie and Seth kind of gave it away on Monday, but it was still nice of them to bring treats to celebrate my birthday with me.   

And I was completely surprised by the cards and present from Carrie and the cards from Michelle and Karen.  Thanks ladies!  I was also surprised by my boss's gift of two K.D. Lang CDs and a gift certificate to Target. 

My boss has teased me the past week about getting so many gift certificates.  The first one to Barnes & Noble I won for winning a contest of putting the name of the library with the picture at the Hennepin County Law Library.  Yes I got them all right and yes I know that makes be a huge nerd.  So what's new?!  The second one I was gifted from the office for Administration Professional's Day (yes that is an actually day that is celebrated in the office world) to Target.  The third one Jason's parent's sent me and it was to Barnes & Noble.  I had a good amount of money to spend at both places and I took full advantage of it. :)

So yesterday after work, I took the bus home per norm and headed over to Barnes & Noble to use my $50 worth of gift certificates.  I ended up buying two books:  The Swan Theives by Elizabeth Kostova and The Help by, well I can't remember who wrote it but my mom raves about it and I know several other people who read it and really liked it.  Then I headed to Super Target to get some groceries, but only ended up getting a few things because their produce section is quite disappointing.  Now I have to go to Rainbow today after work to finish my grocery shopping for the next million years because I hate hate hate grocery shopping with a passion; but that explanation can wait for another blog.  Other than that, I am going to attempt to start writing my independent study paper while listening to music from my ipod with my new spiffy radio. :)

No comments: