Friday, April 30, 2010

Incentives and Guilty Pleasures...

Ok, I know this makes me a total nerd, but I can't help myself; I am rereading the Twilight Saga at least up to Eclipse in preparation for the movie coming out at the end of June.  It was to be my incentive to write my independent study paper, and then I can start reading the books.  This book series, like many many other people I know personally is my guilty pleasure, along with The Historian, but I, yes I, have lent that book out so I can't read it again until I get it back. 

My incentive worked against me.  I finally gave up and started reading Twilight anyway, even though I am not done with my paper, in fact, I have not even started writing it.  This is bad.  Very bad.  Since I gave in to one of my guilty pleasures, I have no incentive anymore and the worst part is, I don't even care.  I mean, I care about writing the paper and doing it well, but I don't feel bad about jumping the gun and reading something I don't have time to read when I should be writing instead.  I truly don't care. 

In fact, I've decided that this weekend is my selfish weekend.  I'm doing everything I've wanted to do for a long time but have denied myself.  I am going to go shopping for shoes and another pair of jeans and some shirts for work.  I'm going to go see a movie, even though I saw a movie last night with Erica, I'm going to go again; hell, maybe tonight.  I'm going to read Twilight till my eyes get so tired I can't keep them open anymore.  And then, when I have done all those things, I am going to sit down at my laptop and start type up a rough draft of my paper until I can't sit and type anymore.  It will probably suck, but at least I'll have something to work with.

Of course, I need to leave some time during my "selfish" weekend to clean my dirty apartment, disgusting would probably be a better word to describe it actually, and laundry will need to be done as well.  There's always something that gets in the way of truly "selfish" time.  Hopefully these things won't get too in the way though or else they will just have to wait for another time.  Not the laundry though, that will definitely have to get done.

So that is my new plan of action for getting my final paper done for my only and last class at Luther Seminary.  Over the summer and in the fall I will be working on my thesis and will not have to take anymore classes.  WOOT! 

Anyway, I got off track there...so my new plan for getting my paper done is to have a completely "selfish" weekend and get rid of all the distractions and then get down to business.  Sometimes a person just needs to let loose and do what they want when they want to.  This weekend is that time for me.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: