Thursday, August 27, 2015

Week 32 of Healthier Living in 2015

8/26/2012
For week of: 8/19 - 8/26/2015
Weigh in Weight: 160.2 lbs
Previous Weigh in Weight: 158.8 lbs gain of 1.4 lbs

Goals for Week 32:
1) Do more arts and crafts with my son to work on writing and coloring skills
2) Daily walk outside (weather permitting)
3) Set aside 30 minutes to 1 hour each day to read and also to write
4) Journal at least twice during the week
5) Get outside and take photos to upload on my contributor iStock account

Week 32 was a bit of a roller coaster for me.  I had some emotional breakdowns and I was stuck inside more than I would have liked to be because of the unhealthy air conditions due to smoke from the many wildfires in our part of the country.  I ended up having some water retention issues, which are starting to get better.  But mostly the weight gain is from my pregnancy.  It is a good weight gain and means baby boy is healthy and growing, so I'm not concerned with gaining weight at this point.  If I gain too much weight that will be a problem, but for the most part, I have gained a healthy amount and continue to fluctuate slightly depending on if I am having water retention issues or not.

Today I braved the outdoor air twice with my three year old son because neither of us could stand being inside anymore.  Our first short walk was this morning to the post office and our afternoon walk was to the bank.  Both short enough to get outside and not have too many problems with the terrible air quality.

As for my goals list for week 32, I am going to keep things brief.  I worked on four of my goals.  I kept forgetting our nice larger camera on the evenings that we went for walks so I didn't do much with my goal for taking photos to upload onto my contributor iStock account.  On the other hand, the most recent photos I submitted were accepted and are now up on the website for anyone to purchase and download, so I'm slowly getting my head on straight and will remember to take our camera on future outings.

I did do some arts and crafts with my three year old son, but not as much as I would have liked.  We spent more time in our den in the basement playing and relaxing this week because of the heat and smoke outside.  Most of the arts and crafts, I picked up for us to do together are quite messy and are better to do outside than inside.  The whole idea of nagging him to not make too big of a mess the whole time is just not appealing to me, so we did other play activities together instead.  Both my husband and I continue to work with him on writing, drawing and coloring, the latter two just for fun, the former because it is a basic skill he needs to learn.

I had to take shorter walks this week because of the smokey conditions outside.  Last night the air cleared a bit so the three of us took a longer walk during which our son fell asleep.  I really love taking walks with my family in the evening because we get to talk to each other, especially my husband and I.  It is a good bonding time for us and I will miss it very much as cooler autumn and winter approach.  Even when it is just my son and I on the walk, we get some good bonding time and chat a bit.

The best thing I've done for myself in a long time is to set aside 30 minutes to an hour to read and 30 minutes to an hour to write everyday.  I am getting caught up on my book club reading and TIME magazine reading.  I am writing in my journal, writing possible future blog post ideas, or just free writing which has been such a boon to my writers block the last few years.  I am actually motivated and believe that I can open up a new WORD document and start typing a story.  Or in my case, I have to continue working on a timeline for the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation for the Montana Synod of the ELCA and I don't freeze when I open the document to start typing in more information.  Setting aside the time, to especially write has kicked my writer block to the curb for now.  Setting aside the time to read everyday has also been wonderful for me.  It helps alleviate anxiety about getting too far behind in my reading as well as allowing me to enjoy some great writing too.  The adage, "The more you read the better you write," is very true.  So I will be continuing to have this time for myself each day, even if it means that one of my son's shows is on in the background and he is making a mess of the living room while I do so.

I have been writing in my journal a lot lately because I've been anxious about the future.  Adding another member to the family can have that affect on a person.  How am I going to handle two kids in the middle of winter with no place to take them to escape the house?  How is it going to change my relationship with my husband?  How am I going to survive the winter and the church program year?  Where are we going to be in a year from now?  Knowing that I'm not cut out to be a stay-at-home-mom, what are some steps we can take as a family to move forward?  Transition is scary but I thank God that I am not alone and that through his grace he has put people in our lives that will help us through this time of transition, whether that means continuing where we are, or starting anew elsewhere.

Okay, so much for being brief with my comments on my week 32 goals.  I will bid you adieu for now with my list of goals for week 33.  Until next time, Keep on keeping on!

Goals for week 33: 8/26 - 9/2/2015
1) Do more arts and crafts with my 3 year old that help him with his writing, coloring and drawing skills
2) Daily exercise (get creative if stuck inside)
3) Set aside 30 minutes to an hour to read each day and 30 minutes to an hour to write
4) Get outside with our nice larger camera and take photos to upload onto my contributor iStock account

No comments: