Monday, February 12, 2007

I've scrapped it all and am starting over...

I've scrapped my original thesis topic and am starting over. Instead of writing on martyrs specifically in the English Reformation, I am writing on the translation of the Bible into English and the events that transpired in England because of it. So I will still be talking about Henry VIII and his children, I will still be talking about martyrs, but I will be doing it with a different lens than I had originally anticipated using. I discovered this new idea while driving back from my parent's house last night, listening to the radio and trying to stay awake.

I haven't slept well the last couple of nights.

So now I am sitting in the library, trying to be productive, but it's not going very well. That is why I am writing this blog instead of reading parts of a biography on William Tyndale, the man who translated the Bible into English in 1520 and was martyred by Henry VIII, with the help of his nemesis Sir, Thomas More; who ironically would be martyred not long after for opposing the Act of Supremacy which made Henry VIII the head of the English church instead of the Pope. Yes, I do want to read about this, and am going to as soon as I end this blog, but I can't concentrate.

I can't seem to get myself to care about doing anything. What's the point? It's not like my studying this is going to change anything that has happened the last couple of days. I am so sad for Pastor Mike, but I am so relieved for Jenelle because she is finally at peace, no longer in pain, and she knows that her family is going to be ok because of Pastor Mike taking a new call in Faribault and getting away from the horrible Pastor Craig who wreaks people to the point of despair. So I should not be sad, but should be thankful that Jenelle is at peace and that her family has that knowledge to hold on to, even in the hardest times to come.

And I don't want to talk about this with people either. I suppose I am writing about it because then I won't have to talk about it with anyone face to face. And so life goes on, even when you wish it would stop for a bit and wait for you to catch up. And here we all are, whether we like it or not.

3 comments:

Karen Elizabeth said...

I totally get so much of what you've just posted.
Scrapping the orginal thesis is a good thing. I think they were meant to morph and change, much to the discontent and even to the expense of the writer.
I understand, in as much as empathy and personal experience will allow, what it means to grieve a loss that seems disconnected to every thing here at Luther, a loss that makes you want to yell at everything to stop and take notice that you, you are hurt, but it doesn't and you know that won't help, and so life continues and it hurts all the more.

Karen Elizabeth said...

no prob, bob.....I vent all the time. It just comes out, and it comes out because it needs to. Vent anytime, anywhere, and about anything...it brings about nice discussion.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I found all you hardcore bloggers here.

Anyways, I am sorry hear about your thesis and the tragedy.

What's with your fascination with martyrs? I know a few, but my expertise is limited to mystics who got themselves killed.

Do you want to talk to me about your thesis? Catch me when I am around.

- Joe